Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Up and running - secondary PC

So, a couple of days ago, I installed the last few pieces of this computer, and have had it up and running for a while now.

Initial test run


During the process of putting this together, I encountered a few issues that needed addressing....

First off, the power supply I am using is a budget-oriented model, so it comes with fairly short cables.  This was fine for the computer it was originally in, and fine for bench testing.  However, the 8-pin CPU power cable was too short to reach the connector at the top left of the motherboard, so I needed an extension.


The extension cable came in with an adapter for my smaller hard drive. (the black part)


Another issue I encountered with this particular motherboard is that the front audio, the headphone port and microphone port, has its header on the sound card.  So I had to run a cable directly across the middle of the motherboard ... grumble grumble... not as clean of a routing job as I wanted, but there was nothing else to do sooooo....


Some more pictures...

 The front panel connectors (power switch, power LED, reset switch)

PCI-express cables for the video card


Finished insides


Finished outside.


I may end up cutting a window in this case, but that is probably a summer project.

Onto my oil project.  I have a good report that the test piece of acrylic seems unchanged, even after about three weeks being submerged in the mineral oil.  This is good.  This means to me that the same type of acrylic that the tech department has lots of will work just fine for my project, but I will need a thicker size.  I'll be calling Laird plastics tomorrow if I can find the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment